April 23, 2012

"Is your book 'Christian Fiction'"?

No.

And yes.


No, my book is Fantasy Fiction. It is neither an allegory, nor was it written intentionally to be a witnessing or evangelizing tool, nor was it written only for other Christians. The story is first and foremost an adventure tale. It is first and foremost a story, written to entertain.

However, I am first and foremost a Christian; I am an author second. My relationship with Jesus Christ is so much a part of who and what I am that I cannot separate it out from my writing.

The themes and character traits that I value and think about show up in my books. For example: In my books, there is a "creator" that some of the characters acknowledge and follow and serve, he is called Cruithaor Elchiyl (which means "Almighty Creator") and although he takes no visible part in the story, his hand is at work throughout the series and becomes apparent even more so in the fourth and final book (I cannot reveal more without giving away far too much). I tried to follow the example set forth by C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien - to acknowledge the need in any world for a Creator, but I also tried to keep "religion" out of the mix of my story except for subtle touches and references here and there that show up because of who I am and what I believe.

1 comment:

NanJ said...

I like this. :)