May 02, 2011

Poetry Corner

I really enjoy writing Style poetry. The following is a Shakespearean Sonnet. 14 lines, with a rhyme scheme of abab cdcd efef gg, in iambic pentameter (10 syllables per line following an unstressed/stressed pattern). I find it fun to "write within the rules" when it comes to poetry... I know, I am a bit insane. Thought it fitting considering the proximity of Easter, to post this one.



He Shook off the Dusty Grave

In dark and creeping mist they hung him high,
His crimson teardrops flowed to heal the land,
This man, the Son of God, they crucified,
Forgiveness in his eyes and outstretched hands.
The Prince of Glory on a rugged cross
Its rough and splintered wood tore at his flesh,
In darkened day creation mourned its loss
He cleansed mankind from sin with his distress.
A crystal tear dripped down from Heaven’s clouds
Then trumpets called from Glory’s highest throne;
Embracing life, his steps were firm and proud
The Lord of life arose to claim his own.
    A ring of gold replacing cruel thorns,
    With radiant light, his brow this crown adorns.

1 comment:

Shannon Dingle said...

I love your poetry. And I, too, like the rules. :)